Saturday, January 30, 2010

Song214_First Day As A Grown-Up

Today's song happened quickly. I sat down to write/record around noon, and I had all of the music completed by 1500. I knew that I wanted an upbeat song today, so I started the session with the 'click' set to 140, a strong kick drum, and an electric guitar (strumming). Once I recorded the main guitar I edited a rough layout of the entire song. This made it easier to add bass guitar, solo guitars, and a section of brass (2-3 tracks of trumpets and trombones). I took a break to enjoy a long painful run, then I went to a birthday party (HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLAYKE AND HANNAH!). We got home around 2000, but I rested for about an hour. Anyway, I hadn't written any lyrics or melodies for this song yet, but I had a theme/title. I worked on a few different ideas for almost an hour, but I wasn't happy with the lyrics or the melody. The midnight deadline was getting closer. I almost re-arranged the song to be an instrumental, but it all came together (quickly) around 2310. Another day complete.

LYRICS: "There's no better way than to start with a party. Like your Debutante's Ball...a 'Southern girl's Bat Mitzvah.' We bought you ponies and puppies, and told you that you look old now. Girl, you're holding my heart, so hold onto my hand. It's your first day as a grown-up, and it's safe to say that you're old enough. Maybe one day you'll want to be young again, but life's kind of like that. There's no better crowd than clowns, family, and friends. And they all had a ball at your 'Southern girl's Bat Mitzvah.' Your face is glowing, and you don't want it to end. Girl, you're holding my heart, so hold onto my hand. It's your first day as a grown-up, and it's safe to say that you're old enough. Maybe one day you'll want to be young again, but life's kind of like that."

-Matthew
www.anewsongeveryday.com
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment