Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Song211_All or Nothing

This song begins a new album, Week31_Vanilla Camel. I decided to be a little less formulaic with the writing process this week...not focusing on genres, certain instruments, etc. Today's song is unique in that I wrote and recorded the main electric guitar picking before anything else. Most of it is repetitive, and I wasn't sure what chords would match-up with it...I just picked a melody that I liked. When I went back to add the strummed guitar (also electric) I found that the main chords were 'D' and 'Bm.' However, I arranged a much different progression on top of the picking part that gives the song an edge (D-Bm-C-Bm-Bm-A-D-C-Bm). I wrote some of these lyrics last night (and completed them during the recording process), but I had to rearrange syllables 5-6 times to make it work with the odd timing of the song.

LYRICS: "Time may be everything. God and king. Maybe just nothing at all. An illusion that's supported by the clocks on the wall. It's all or nothing, my friend. And we're here until the end. Heroes are human at best, so careful who you love. Even the pope has sinned, though somewhat of a saint when he's compared to most. It's all or nothing, my friend. And we're here until the end."

PS: Every song this week will have something to do with "time." I just decided that tomorrow's song will be called "First Day As a Grown-Up."

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment