Thursday, January 14, 2010

Song198_Born

I wrapped up my work responsibilities around noon, then I sat down to write today's song. This one was tricky...for a few reasons. I recorded the guitar and bass first, and then Brandon (who came by for a few hours) helped structure the drums. There are 3 sections that each changed a few times. The 'chorus' section ended up without any drums, and there are a few keyboard sequences that give this song an odd mix of elements. I need to study more Metal music because I think some of the guitars are more 'punk' than 'metal,' but the goal was "hardcore" so I think this one fits. If you think this one is not heavy enough, then listen to last week's album of "songs that Air Supply wishes they wrote."

The toughest part of this song was creating a balanced EQ. I'm using new presets for the distorted guitar, I'm singing 1-2 vocal parts through Guitar Rig effects, etc...and all these new sounds have drastic amounts of certain frequencies. It took 6 tries to get a mix/master that I like (but don't love).

LYRICS: "Bloody, battered, and torn. Not good at living. Not ready to die. Didn't ask to be born. Tied up, weathered, and worn. Not good at living. Not ready to die. Didn't ask to be born.

PS: I'm glad I was born...thankful for every day.

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment