Saturday, January 2, 2010

Song186_On A Ledge

I ate some caffeinated beef for breakfast, so today's song is faster than yesterday's. (Actually, it's almost exactly twice the speed...Song185=76bpm, and Song186=155bpm). I created one simple drum loop, and the main electric guitar (strumming) was written to this rhythm. Some of the chords in this song are unique...I know the root notes, but I've never seen these chords in a book. The actual chord progression is somewhat ordinary (Opening=C-G, then F-G, then A#-C-F-A#), but the quick edits, odd chord formations, and layering process gave this song a unique sound. I completed this song around 2pm, but I wasn't satisfied with the final mix. I re-mixed and re-mastered this song 3 times, and each time I found tracks that had an abundance of a certain frequency. In the end, taking these frequencies away gave me more room to raise the overall level of the song. I've gotten much more precise with mixing/mastering (from all the repetition), but there are challenges each time I use new instruments or experiment with different musical genres.

LYRICS: "Slow, watch for it. Did you know that you are out on a ledge? Do you know if you've given all that you can? It's better to fight it. One moment. Did you know that you are out on a ledge? Do you know if you've given all that you can? Hold on one minute. Do you know that you are out on a ledge? Do you know if you've given it all you can?

Inevitably, there are times that I realize things that I could've done to improve a song (after it's been posted). On many occasions these changes or additions come to me as I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep. This happened to me last night when I realized a more creative layout to Song185, but it was past the midnight deadline. A large part of this project is to show what I can accomplish in one day. If I go back and make changes to a previous day's song, then I'm defeating the purpose...so it'll have to do.

I realized halfway through today's session that I had the wrong date posted on the live video screen. It's now 2010! Crazy.

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment