Monday, January 18, 2010

Song202_Repetition

I briefly strayed from my weekly formula, and a spontaneous experiment quickly transformed this metal song into a mess of dancable funk. I had muted the main distorted guitar so I could play a (clean) electric part that I had in my head. The syncopated strumming, combined with the staccato-style bass playing, gave this song lots of "up and down" movement. I liked the music, so I decided to compensate by adding gritty, monotone, and distorted vocals. I wrote and sang the lyrics below. However, after listening to the odd fusion of sounds I went back and decided to be true to this song...even if it makes this song the oddball on the upcoming album.

LYRICS: "We have no ruling. Just a simple strategy. We don't have permission, but we've got the audacity. Unmanned tanks, unmanned planes. We owe the taxpayers a show. Proof (that) nothing went to waste. The web is as much of a threat as the spider. Dead is equal to ineffective. With some we're at war, some we just 'occupy.' With some we 'maintain a constant presence.' With others we secretively meddle and spy. All to keep evil arms-length from the people."

NEW LYRICS: "People like repetition. People like repetition. (repeat)"

Tomorrow's song will complete another album, OTTO_Week29_Nothing Drastic. I'm still working on ideas for the album artwork, but the new album will be available for sale tomorrow night at http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/.

PS: There was an error with U-Stream's service today, so there was not a live broadcast of today's recording session. That's the first time that has happened since I started this project over 6 months ago. I'll check into it later today and try to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment