Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Song197_Hey

This song begins a new album of 'hardcore' songs (Week29_Nothing Drastic). I don't have an extensive history with (or knowledge of) this type of music, and it probably doesn't help that I've heard less than 1% of new music released since the year 2000 (I don't have a TV and I don't listen to music on the radio). Either way, I like the energy of this type of music, and I knew it would challenge my songwriting abilities. I wrote the foundation of this song late last night using an electric guitar. I found 3-4 progressions and strumming patterns that I liked within 20-30 minutes, recorded them onto a digital audio device, and filled in the blanks as I recorded. There is only one main guitar in this song (playing throughout). I like the 'squeeling' of the electric guitar during the "Hey" sections. I used a technique from my days of playing live shows...pressing the strings against the pickups for a controlled feedback. I can't remember where I learned that, but it's effective. The solo guitar is sporadic since I can't play the warp-speed solos that usually accompany this type of music. This gave me plenty of time to focus on the rhythm section (i.e. drums and bass).

I wrote these lyrics before starting the song. The lyrical topic today addresses our biggest concern as humans...not global warming, not disease, not immigration...but death. No human is immune, but having peace about dying will affect how you live. So how do you have peace about death? That's a question that most people ask at some point.

LYRICS: "Destined for doom, baby. You shouldn't try to save me. Lost, we're all lost. Is there anyone out there trying to find me? One day we're all gonna die. Each focused on our own demise. Paranoia tells the greatest lies. There's no place for a human to hide. Stuck in the same rut. All the truths are tainted by humans. Anger stunts your growth and adds air to the fire of your doubt. One day we're all gonna die. Each focused on our own demise. Paranoia tells the greatest lies. There's no place for a human to hide."

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment