Friday, January 8, 2010

Song192_Nowhere Better

Brandon came over again today, and we wrote this song in a way similar to yesterday's song. We sat with acoustic guitars and talked through some rough ideas before recording any instruments. There are only 3 chords in this song, but we felt that the tempo and style made this song unique from the previous two on this newest album. There are two acoustic guitars in this song...one plays throughout, and one (with a capo on fret 7) appears only in the 'chorus' sections. Brandon played the electric solo in the 'chorus' sections, and I added bass guitar and a soft rotary organ that helps fill the 'verse' sections. Brandon had to leave around 1400, but in about 3 hours we had 70% of this song completed.

I came back to finish this song around 1800. I had a few (rough) vocal melody ideas, but I didn't have any lyrics. My wife likes this style/genre of music, so I wrote some lyrics that I thought she'd enjoy (and she does). I actually wrote the words as I was recording....section by section. The singing took multiple takes, but the words (fortunately) came out quickly (20 min?).

LYRICS: "Bored with this one-horse town we're in. Even the wind is searchin' for somewhere better to be. With the windows all down and the radio up. We cruised the whole town like two fools in love...with the summer breeze blowin'. Oil rigs and windmills turning. We're always runnin' to somewhere else it seems. I love this hand I'm holdin'. With you around it seems there's no place better to be. With the windows all down and the radio up. We cruised the whole town like two fools in love...with the summer breeze blowin'."

-Matthew
www.anewsongeveryday.com
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment