Thursday, September 24, 2009

Song086_Stop Starting Over

So far the songs this week have each been mildly schizophrenic. Each have shared a few common instruments...heavily distorted guitars, dirty synths, and a few bright/delayed guitars (for contrast), but they switch directions without much warning. This song was created in a way similar to yesterday's song. I found a drum loop that I liked, and then I used my thin hollow-body electric guitar (connected to GuitarRig3) to find the foundational chord progression (G, A, and then D, A, G, Em...F#, and the bridge is B, C, G). The analog bass was fun (and quick) to record, then I layered synths, additional guitars, cymbal swells, a string section (on the verse sections only), etc. You can probably tell that my voice is still recovering (though I'm probably at 89% now) because I had some trouble with the higher notes on the chorus section. I tried to smooth it out with editing and reverb, but it is what it is. Brandon is purchasing some pitch-correction software (i.e. a ProTools plug-in) for a project that he's producing, but I'm hesitant to use that tool on my own voice. I'd rather be slightly out-of-tune than computer-corrected. Of course, the real goal is just to nail every singing part dead on.

The lyrics/theme of this song are about: losing focus during your search for purpose, hesitation, etc. I wrote more lyrics than I used, but the narrowed down version fits the music better.

LYRICS: "You scaled the wall with a servant's heart. Traded heart for cash when you reached the top. A gray-haired kid that leaders follow. You re-invented the wheel. Now you're on a roll. What are you waiting for? The gun went off, and the crowd is behind you. Come on, fearless and ready for more. Take a shot. The crowd is behind you."

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment