Sunday, September 20, 2009

Song082_The Speed of Light

This was another challenging day for creative output. Brandon and I got together at 1pm, worked for about 3 hours on a new idea, and then we took a break. Neither of us were feeling very inspired, and he had family obligations, but I picked it back up (solo) around 6pm. I listened to the (6-7 track) foundation that we had created earlier, and it still wasn't inspiring me. It was a good idea, so I stored that session file in a folder labeled "Unknowns," and started a new file from scratch. (There are about 3-4 "Unknown" sessions in the pile right now).

This song was created with a distorted guitar (which didn't make the final mix) playing a simple chord progression...D, A, G, A, and then G, A, D. Next, I strummed another electric guitar track using the same spacious guitar effect that I've used throughout this week's collection. The bass line was created using synth, and there are a few additional synth parts that are great filling (very gritty and phased). Additionally, I added a light string section (playing throughout), a solo electric guitar (with heavy delay/reverb), cymbals, etc. The 3 drum loops provide a solid and appropriate rhythm base that drive the spacey sounds. I like how this one turned out, and I think it's consistent with the mood and theme for the week.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment