Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Song084_Gravity Assist

Well, this instrumental completes another album, and I'm happy with the outcome of this collection of songs. I was able to achieve a consistent sound using a small collection of instruments without any two songs sounding too much alike. They all have a great deal of "atmosphere" (mainly attributed to the pre-sets and effects chosen...thank you, reverb). I have an inner-circle of listeners that help me choose the Song-of-the-Week by voting for their favorite each week. I had at least one vote for each song this week, so I take that as a good sign.

Carly played the initial piano track which "book-ends" the song nicely (it only appears at the beginning and end). She has a few original piano melodies that I'd like to adapt into full songs, but we started with this short line for now. Fortunately, this simple melody gave me a good starting point for writing today's song. I built around this track using a variety of keyboard parts (dueling dirty synth sounds, a string section, a violin, etc), and then I build a percussion section. The drums are a series of 6 different loops that were altered, recorded a various speeds (BPM= 45, 90 and 180), and edited so that the energy of the song builds (then drops).

I am still working on the album artwork for this week (Week 12: Space Station Vacation). I have a few more hours to make it right. It will be available for sale later tonight.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment