Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Song077_Homecoming

This song, Song077_Homecoming, completes an entire album of instrumentals. It wasn't until earlier today that I actually went back and listened to the entire week's collection. Most of the songs fit a similar theme (and could be part of the same movie soundtrack...with 1 exception), so overall my "scoring" project was a success. I enjoy creating thought-provoking instrumentals, and I feel like I could continue down this path for another week or two. Every movie needs a sequel, right?

This song began with an acoustic guitar track which I finger-picked in a classical style. (The guitar was capot'ed on the 4th fret). I used 3 microphones to capture the sound, panned and effected each track differently, and then 'bused' all three tracks into one "auxiliary" track (to add a common reverb). I purposefully left the guitar scratches (the sound of my fingers sliding across the coiled metal) because I like the amount of discomfort they add to the serenity of the song. I also just like the purity and candid nature of those sounds. There are two main sections to this song. The acoustic guitar and the string section play throughout, but most of the other instruments are unique to certain sections and include: flutes, a solo violin, choir sections, bowed saws, and 2 dueling electric guitar solos (which are reoccurring).

I have a few ideas for the album artwork this week, but they are still just ideas. I went by Rick's house earlier to photograph an old 16mm film projector that's been aging nicely in his closet. I think I have good material to work with. Regardless, the newest album, The Score, will be available online later tonight.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment