Friday, September 18, 2009

Song080_As We Fly By

If, as I often hope, I'm able to form a band to perform songs from this project, then I think this song will be on the list. I enjoyed recording this one, and I even recorded 5-6 takes of each vocal part even though I knew I had what I wanted after 2-3 takes. The entire song came together (from scratch) in 2-3 hours, but I put an additional 2-3 hours into the details. It's on the slower side (BPM=80...?), but it makes me want to run. The distorted guitar at the end of this song was hard to tame...a great (and mean) layering of effects. There are 2 dueling electric parts that are picked, panned apart, and effected with multiple delay processors. They play throughout most of the song. The keyboard part is one track, but there are a combination of sounds on that single track (a vocal synth, a dirty rock organ, and an ambient chime that resonates...subtly). The vocals are almost out of my range...especially at that volume/intensity. I've never lost my voice before, but I've strained it a few times during this project.

The theme (or storyline) for this week is related to human space adventures. I did a brief outline of daily topics...1) the process of piercing the atmosphere, 2) being weightless and seeing earth from a distance for the first time, 3) the sense of loneliness that can be created by physical distance, 4) experiments in space, 5) new discoveries, 6) fixing unexpected problems, 7) returning home.

LYRICS: "Drifting quietly along. Echoes bouncing on steel walls. Time goes on (below) as we fly by. Needs can't be put on hold for (the sake of) science. We're chasing the sun in the dark. Just waiting."

Coincidentally, NASA recently released new photos from the Hubble project (one of their best investments so far). Rick sent me this link today, and the images are amazing. http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/scitech/2009/09/09/spectacular-new-images-hubble-telescope?slide=1

Also, in line with today's theme, NPR discussed a current Russian experiment in which 5 (?) participants are simulating a flight to Mars. It's somewhat of a social experiment to see how humans would absorb a trip that long (about a year?). I don't have a link to that story, but it wouldn't be hard to find. I would like to help NASA with musical experiments in space. If we're going to colonize away from earth we can't forget the importance that music plays in our daily lives. I submitted a few letters (along with the application for civilian astronaut candidacy) back in 1999(?), but I only got a formal response. They sent me free photos and promotion items, so I guess it was worth it.

Last week I came across a musician that did a project similar to mine in 2005. I heard about him through a recent article in Popular Science. He wrote and recorded a new song every week for one year, and his project was (commercially) successful. I sent him a brief email, and he was nice enough to respond with some good comments (and advice). He explained that a few of his songs were "viral successes" online, and he also pointed out that they wouldn't have gone "viral" if they weren't offered at his site at no cost. http://www.jonathancoulton.com/

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment