Sunday, September 6, 2009

Song068_The Eminent Hoedown

I began today knowing that I wanted to incorporate the dulcimer into a song. It's been a while since I've played it (though it always hangs on my wall), so first I re-strung it (thanks for the strings, Susan!). I went to my first Appalachian Music Festival when I was 8 years old, and I instantly enjoyed the sound of the dulcimer. I'm also a big fan of bluegrass music, and I wonder why more people don't add dulcimer to bluegrass. Anyway, if you're not familiar with this instrument, then I'll briefly explain. There are a few different types, but mine happens to be a "lap dulcimer" (i.e. sits in the lap instead of on a stand), and it's strummed horizontally. Some of the larger "hammer dulcimers" are not strummed, but they're played with tiny little (elf) mallets. Mine has 4 strings, two of which are "fretted" (pressure placed on strings between various frets to achieve different notes). The other two strings are played "open" (or "un-fretted") which provides for a consistent sound that contrasts nicely with the fretted sounds (like a string version of bagpipes).

So, I started this song with the dulcimer, then added acoustic guitar, analog bass, 7 percussion tracks, 2 violins, an ambient resonating synth sound, bells, malleted cymbal swells and another string section.

I have had a week or so of long days, and I got the "weakness and sore throat" funk. I went to the doctor early this morning and got some antibiotics and a steroid shot. I can already feel it working, and that's a good thing. There are no days off associated with this project.

Hope you enjoy the new song.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment