Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Song071_Within Reason

This song begins a series of instrumentals that I will be sending to companies that market "stock" music to filmmakers. I had a favorable response recently from one company out of Canada, and I have talked with other musicians that offer their music through similar sites. It seems like something I need to pursue. It can be a good source of exposure (and income), but the larger goal would be to get my name out there so I can create custom music for specific projects.

I started this idea by playing some melodies on the keyboard (using a "string section"), and this is how I came up with the foundational chord progression. I recorded this progression once through, and then I played along on the guitar until I found the notes/chords that fit. The progression is unique in that I probably wouldn't have thought to combine these chords if I had started with the guitar (Am, A#, C, F, A#, C, A#, C...repeat). I like the guitar tone/effect that I used on the main electric (picking) guitar. I opted to use synth bass (instead of analog bass) so I could smooth out the transients more...making it more like a bowed Cello than a plucked bass. I also added a solo violin, a second electric (picking) guitar, and a few random noises. I like the mood of this song...I think it would be interesting background music for a variety of movie scenes (such as: a nature documentary, a Muppet love scene, etc).

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment