Saturday, September 19, 2009

Song081_Spacewalks

I recorded for at least 2 hours today before deciding to completely start over. I didn't have any great ideas before I started, but I was anxious to make progress...a dangerous combination. In the end, losing 2 hours of work is still better than settling for something that doesn't sound good.

So, I started over by changing the BPM on the 'click' track to 60 (instead of 140). I found a few different percussion loops that I liked, and then Brandon stopped by. His help in the studio today was a nice change of pace for me. Especially since my first effort today had crashed and burned. Anyway, when he got here we talked briefly, and then Brandon started strumming through some ideas on the acoustic guitar. I liked the progression he started forming, but we decided to slow the strumming and add a capot (2nd fret?). I recorded this track through direct-input (into Guitar Rig). Every guitar in this song (distorted one included) was played on an acoustic guitar. We took turns adding keyboard parts...a few for ambiance and 'filling,' a solo violin, additional cymbals, etc. This entire song was written and completed in about 3-4 hours.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment