Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Song085_Your Own Politics

I decided (earlier today) to center this week's theme on 'purpose.' That's a broad topic, but it's an important one. Anyone who holds value to their life seeks it, but before you can find it you have to define it. (Your definition will affect the outcome of your efforts). Anyway, I made a list of different people (and/or job positions) that seem to have a deep sense of purpose attached to them. A few examples are: The President, church leaders, suicide bombers, etc. This is not a list of people that I support or identify with...just a list of people who have sought (or seem to have found) purpose. I figured I'd start with the challenges of being president, but I realized that our individual contributions- to those that care for us -are no less significant that the president's actions because of their direct impact (most 'Washington' decisions really don't effect us as much as they tend to anger us). So, it's more about our responsibility to do what we can within our sphere of control. It's also about transferring bitterness into constructive energy...a message I direct to myself since there are plenty of reasons to be a cynic.

LYRICS: "Don't rely on the president to define your world. You make your own politics. You can choose your own advisers, and submit reports to your online factions. Take your best advice, and then make your own reforms. Don't wait for change to come knocking on your door."

The idea for the song began with the distorted guitar. I found the sound I wanted, and then I wrote the chord progression while listening to a scratch drum loop (to assist with the timing). Next, I added analog bass, two dueling e-bow guitars, dueling synth sounds, cymbals, tambourine, and some vocals. I'm not sure how you would categorize this song(s), but it was fun to create.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment