Thursday, April 29, 2010

Song303_Voices of the System

Today was another long/busy day. I decided this song was "complete" when I noticed that it was after 2300...not because I was through working on it. This project dictates that each song is written and recorded within a 24hr period...even if I only have 6 hours to record on a particular day.

I woke up at 0530, mowed (overgrown) yards until 1400, took an hour nap, and starting writing today's song around 1530. I started this song by inserting a 'scratch' drum rhythm (100bpm), and then I wrote the guitar progressions on the distorted guitar (Verse=G-A#...G-A#-A, Chorus=G-F-C-G). Next, I added bass guitar and structured the percussion section. I decided not to get too involved with layering additional tracks until I had mapped out some vocal ideas. I spent over an hour trying different lyrics and melodies. I eventually kept 3 of these tracks, but I wasn't 100% happy with them, so I took a break, went to the gym, ate dinner, and I came back to the song around 2100. I 'muted' the vocals and layered 4-5 synth tracks in various places. These tracks gave the song lots of depth and texture, but they didn't fit the vocals as expected. I spent another 30-minutes editing and mixing, and then I realized that it was after 2300! The synth tracks gave me a few new vocal ideas, but there wasn't enough time to re-record vocals and still have the song uploaded by midnight. Fortunately I didn't even try because it took 4 tries to get the mix right. Today's song was uploaded with 10-minutes to spare.

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment