Friday, April 23, 2010

Song297_Villains and Dinosaurs

A took a slightly different approach to writing today's song, and I had better results than the past few days (which were somewhat of a struggle). I'm not saying that I don't like the past few songs, but they were a challenge to write/record, and it was because I needed a more strategic approach. So, I built the rhythm section first today: drums (90bpm), bass guitar, and the fuzzy synth bass. I took about 30-minutes to write some lyrics and melodies, and then I spent the next hour recording the vocals. From there, it was easy (and fun) to fill in the blanks.

LYRICS: "Shipwrecked on a distant island. I'm stranded with the fallen. I'm surrounded by open waters, so I'm building a wooden submarine. Can you hear the voices say, 'Hey!'? Cool like a dinosaur. An interesting, irrelevant animal. A villain on holiday, looting as his god looks away. I'm cool like a dinosaur. An interesting, irrelevant animal. Can you hear the voices say...? Speechless, (like) a tree stump in the forest. I'm always sitting in 'standing room only.' Restless, (like) a once-each-decade comet. I'm building ancient melodies. Can you hear the voices say, 'Hey!'? Cool like a dinosaur. An interesting, irrelevant animal. A villain on holiday, looting as his god looks away. I'm cool like a dinosaur. An interesting irrelevant animal. Can you hear the voices say...?"

-Matthew
www.anewsongeveryday.com
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment