Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Song301_Channels

Today's song (Song301_Channels) is the final song on the newest album (Week43_Sense), which is now available for sale at http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/.

I went to sleep last night after midnight, woke at 0530, and mowed yards from 0700 to 1300. I started writing today's song around 1500, recorded until 1900, took a break to eat dinner, and returned to the song around 2100...completing it around 2250. I uploaded the song, updated the website, uploaded the new album to the online retail store, created the weekly email, backed-up the hard drives, etc, and I finalized another week of recording at 2344...just in time to prepare for another day/song.

I didn't start today's session with any specific ideas. I set the metronome to 110bpm, found a guitar pre-set/tone that I liked (which almost sounds like a rotary organ), and I recorded the main strumming guitar progression first (first section=E-A, second section=F#-B). I like how each chord has it's own unique strumming pattern. Next, I structured the rhythm section. I found one drum sequence that fit the style I wanted, and I used that rhythm to write the bass guitar track. I also added 2 electric guitars (picking solo notes) and 2 synth tracks. I took a 20-minute break and wrote a half-page of lyrics, but I liked the textures and the combinations of instruments without vocals interfering.

Another album begins tomorrow.

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment