Sunday, April 11, 2010

Song285_Cyberville

I barely completed today's song before midnight! I started writing lyrics around 2300, and I completed the final mix at 2350! That means it's time to start writing a new song!

The lyrics today (which were intended to be sarcastic and humorous) are about "Cyber Sociology." I don't know if that term exists, but I think you know what I mean. "Social networking" has been around for ages, but human interaction online is still fairly new and has its own unique set of social challenges, rewards, and consequences. Technology has given us knew ways to communicate, and it has its obvious benefits. However, it has also revealed new problems such as: Internet addiction (the US now has in-patient facilities that cater to this problem) and legal issues (note the recent case in which a son is suing his mother for altering his Facebook profile). Also, it currently seems like most people are in a (secret?) competition to be the wittiest human ever. Clever is the new normal, right? Then there are those that post factual information in 'tweet' form such as, "TGIF...I'm glad today is Friday!" Or, "I'm at the park, going to eat lunch after, then going to store." What inspires someone to log into an online account and share that kind of information with large audiences? I'm being purposefully sarcastic, of course, because the irony is that I participate in this madness (to a certain extent). Every day after completing a new song I add to this online journal and send a tweet. And, although I tell myself it's for documentation/posterity, I could just as easily be keeping an off-line journal. I understand that everyone thinks they're interesting, and that's okay. But I also think it's healthy to realize that far more people write about themselves that read about others.

LYRICS: "Online with the masses 27/7. My online followers and friends, waiting for wisdom, let's meet again. Everybody wants to hear what I say. They haven't said so, but I know that they want to. Everybody wants my thoughts on today, but they haven't said so 'cause they're busy doing the same thing. The safety and comfort of a password 24/7. The Home page makes me feel at home more than my home does, so let's meet again. Everybody wants to hear what I say. They haven't said so, but I know that they want to. Everybody wants my thoughts on today, but they haven't said so 'cause they're busy doing the same thing."

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment