Monday, April 12, 2010

Song286_Tongue-Tied

I got to play 9 holes of golf early this morning. I had great company and great weather, so it didn't matter that I can't play. I came back and worked on a Freehand project, then I started working on today's song around 1500. That's later than usual, but nothing compared to yesterday (in which the bulk of the song was recorded between 2200 and 2350!).

I wrote the initial chord progression for today's song on the electric guitar (Verse=G-D-C-D, Transition=Bm-E...C-D, Chorus=G-A-Em...C-Em-D). Next, I added drums, then bass guitar, and then acoustic guitar. Then, I created two synth sequences to accompany the 'Verse' and 'Chorus' sections. The song had a full sound at this point, so I decided to complete the vocals before adding any other instruments. The lyrical message today deals with those select people in your life that truly keep you grounded, and the difficulty (at times) with finding the right words or actions to equal the thankfulness you have for them.

I completed this one around 2100, but I had taken an hour break to work on lyric/melody ideas and an hour for dinner (so around 5 hours to write and record this one?). Tomorrow's song will be the final song on the next album (Week41_Pulling Stranger's Teeth). I'll be working on album design ideas until I fall asleep.

LYRICS: "In some lights you can't hide. We all get tongue-tied. Sometimes tongue-tied. I can't lie. I need you tonight. I've been lost and alone, and your love brings me back home...back on my way. Stretched thin, you need a 'win.' But we all get tongue-tied. Sometimes tongue-tied. I can't lie. I need you tonight. I've been lost and alone, and your love brings me back home...back on my way."

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment