Saturday, April 3, 2010

Song277_Ruler of Undergrounds

Carly and I met some friends in Fort Worth last night (Rick and Brooke), ate some dinner, walked the streets, and ended up at a small tavern that played great (loud) music. I was inspired (must've been the Digital Underground), so I started recording today's song when we got home at 0020. I wrote and recorded the acoustic guitar, bass guitar, drums, clean electric guitar (the strumming that's heavy with reverb), and distorted electric guitar. I went to bed around 0340 and slept until 1000...returning to complete this song at 1600.

Fine-tuning this song took some time. I had tracked 4-5 synth parts, but I wasn't happy with the sounds, so I re-recorded each one. Also, I added the ending of this song (A-Adim-D-E) after everything else had been recorded. It took time to add those parts, and to blend them to the rest of the song. The lyrics were written around 0300...just before I slept, but fortunately I was able to find a melody and singing style that fit the pattern of each section. There are over 20 tracks in this song, and the mix took a few tries. I took a few breaks (one to eat, one to change strings), and I completed this song around 2100.

LYRICS: "You're an outcast's best kept secret...ruler over undergrounds. You're a stalemate's best investment. Money spent on growth. A pathway known by candlelight. An outlet drawn to us by sight. Never lonely. Never alone. A slave to motion. Born to roam. You're a lesson in forgiveness...the reason for the rule of law. You're an outcast's best kept secret...ruler over undergrounds. A pathway known by candlelight. An outlet drawn to us by sight. Never lonely. Never alone. A slave to motion. Born to roam."

-Matthew
www.anewsongeveryday.com
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment