Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Song232_In The Shadows

Today's song begins a new album, Week34_In The Shadows. The common musical elements this week will be: acoustic guitar, electric guitar (with a GR3 pre-set that's heavy with delay and reverb), and vocal harmonies. I'll change many things each day (such as tempo, chord progressions, etc), but having these standard ingredients will ensure a consistent sound for the entire album.

I started this song with the acoustic guitar...strumming chords until I found a few progressions (and a tempo) that I liked. The chords are standard...nothing fancy, which made it easy to add a steady bass line...followed by drums, tambourine, 3 electric guitars, a synth sequence, a violin, and 6 different vocal tracks. I wrote the lyrics as I wrote the melodies. The lyrics are average. (This entire song was written and recorded in about 4 hours). I was going for a certain tone, but I didn't have a specific message before I started writing. Also, my voice was a little strained today, but layering multiple vocal tracks gave it a bigger sound (and it hid some imperfections).

LYRICS: "Make a list of all your fears. Ones that hide in the shadows. You're lost, but hope doesn't hide. You fly blind and solo. You hang out in the shadows. Watch the unknown disappear. Deep into the shadows...as hope appears on time. You fly blind and solo. You hang out in the shadows."

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment