Thursday, February 11, 2010

Song226_Change

This week's theme is not just about "starting over" (something most of us can relate to), but it's mostly about "starting over...again." I'm thankful for the tough lessons I've learned (some more than once), and I don't fear change like I used to. Any challenge in life, approached with the right mindset, can produce growth. God said to "rejoice" as we go through hard times, because struggles produce perseverance, which produces character, which leads to hope, etc. That's hardcore, but it's humility (not age) that make that understandable.

I wrote this song by recording an acoustic guitar to a 'click' (set to 80bpm). It took me a few tries to find some chord progressions that I liked. I kept most of it simple (A-E-B), but I threw in some odd progressions (C-E) in the middle of certain parts to illustrate the uncertain feelings that change can create. The drums and bass guitar were recorded next, followed by an organ, a violin and 3 electric guitars (one distorted and two clean). I decided last night that this song would be about "change" (which is always part of "Starting Over Again"), but I didn't write the lyrics until the music was complete. I spent about 45 minutes creating the lyrics and melodies, and then it took an additional 30 minutes to record and edit them.

LYRICS: "Holding on for your life. 'Cause change is scary sometimes. (You're) a million miles from all you know. No one to blame, and no place to go. This is the moment you stop or keep going. Just keep your focus and your feet on the ground. You're holding tight and getting weak. It's letting go that takes more strength. (You're) a million miles from all you know. No one to blame, and no place to go. This is the moment you stop or keep going. Just keep your focus and your feet on the ground. You and I both know we can make it. Now's the time to take the first step to it."

PS: We had a drastic change in weather today. It snowed about 7 inches...in Texas! Carly and I went for a walk and it felt like a true mountain-snow...thick flakes, no wind, soft crunchy snow...

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment