Friday, February 5, 2010

Song220_Starting Blocks

I had to work today until 1600, and we had plans to be eat dinner with family at 1800 (it's my father-in-law's birthday). I recorded from1600-1800, but I deleted the entire session...it lacked any sense of direction. So, I went to dinner, got back around 2030 and prepared a new session-file. I knew that time was limited. I've had a few good/quick days where the music has come together in about 3 hours (because I showed up with a plan), but then vocals usually take an additional hour. I had 3 hours (total) until midnight, so that also meant that I had to have the mix complete, the file converted and emailed, blog, twitter, etc...all in 3 hours...and I had no plan for the song. I felt the pressure, but it worked out okay. I knew I probably wouldn't have time for vocals, so I structured this song to build in volume and intensity. There are 3 main sections (each repeats the same chord progression), and each section has its own set of instruments. Section 1 starts already in a groove...drums and bass come in immediately. Then, Section 2 eliminates the drums and bass, but it introduces two electric guitars that pick dueling parts. The lull of Section 2 paves the way for the strong finale.

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment