Monday, December 21, 2009

Song174_Hope Arrives

Thiago Silva joined me in the studio today. He came over about 9:30, and we agreed to start the song by recording him picking a few chord progressions on the classical guitar. Thiago's a gifted guitarist, so after we decided on a style and tempo he didn't need much direction from me. In fact, I spent most of the day playing 'Producer' (which I also enjoy). After only 3-4 takes we felt like we had enough of the initial part, so I did some quick editing, structured the song (created markers, documented the chord structure, etc), and then I recorded the bass guitar. I kept the bass simple since there are plenty of notes already being played on the guitar. Next, Thiago added another classical guitar track...this one filled with sporadic solos that compliment the original track nicely. I added a string section, recorded some cymbal swells, and then Thiago added the final track...an electric guitar that plays a melody (in the center section) using an E-bow.

I think this instrumental fits nicely with the other songs in this week's collection. We were able to complete this song before Thiago had to leave for the airport (to pick up holiday guests), which means that this entire song was written, recorded, mixed, and mastered in about 4 hours. Thanks, Thiago!

PS: I added a few new photos to the Gallery page: http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/Gallery/index.htm

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment