Friday, December 18, 2009

Song171_December

Brandon came over around noon, and we talked about ideas for today's song. He worked out the main structure on acoustic guitar, I added the bass, and then we had a nice surprise. Jason Houp stopped by to loan me his mandolin...great timing. I learned a few chords years ago, but it's been a long time since I've gotten to play a mandolin. As a fan of bluegrass music, I have always enjoyed the sound of this instrument. We added additional electric guitars, percussion (tambourine, bells, cymbals), a flute, a violin...then Brandon went home (around 4pm). We had talked about a few topical ideas for today's lyrics, but I had trouble coming up with something that I liked as much as the music. The lyrics ended up being really sappy, and the melodies were average, so I quickly convinced myself that this song was destined to be an instrumental.

-Matthew
www.anewsongeveryday.com
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment