Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Song162_Young and Old

This instrumental begins a new album, Week24_Simple Days of Jousting. I'm still writing from scratch each day, but I'm also still trying to write collections of songs by taking various (and mostly strategic) approaches to songwriting. This week the formula won't involve only using specific instruments, or following the same songwriting formula each day. Instead, I'll try to tie the entire album together in other ways. I want this album to have a 'storytelling' overtone, so each day might have its own unique sound. I can't make any guarantees, but I have a few ideas that might help you hear what I can't seem to explain.

Anyway, today's song was written by choosing guitar tones and effects that fit the mood I had in mind. The main strumming (electric) guitar is a simple progression (A-Dm) that resolves in the 'chorus' section (D-A). The foundation of this song is simple and solid. The percussion is consistent, but the tambourine and shaker add lots of character. Also, I enjoyed creating the bass guitar part. Additionally, there are a few other (picking) electric guitar parts, as well as a violin. I think this song was less than 10 tracks.

By the way, SnoCap (provider of the jukebox I've been using to upload the daily songs) appears to have gone out-of-business? How could that be when I alone am making them millions of dollars in music sales? (not true) Anyway, I'll be searching (quickly) for a solution to this problem. Any suggestions?

-Matthew
www.anewsongeveryday.com
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment