Thursday, July 30, 2009

Song030_2nd Home

I structured this instrumental in hopes of illustrating the layering process. It starts with a single instrument (keyboard) and I added a new instrument every 2-4 measures. The song is the fullest near the center, and then I tear it back down again one instrument (sometimes more) at a time...ending with the same solitary keyboard. This idea struggled to take shape, but the plan seems to have worked in the end. I started the song with a guitar picking idea that took about 35 seconds to complete one round. I recorded that section then copied it 5 times in a row (making the song around 4 min 20 sec). Then, I approached it as a math equation...divided each segment into 4 sections which (divided by the number of measures in each section) meant I could have about 16-20 instruments playing during the fullest section. As I recorded other parts I cut the appearances of the initial guitar to fit the energy of the song. Of course, I broke a few of the above rules during the final edit and mix.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment