Thursday, July 16, 2009

Song016_Jettison Three

Today's song is an instrumental where delayed electric guitars mix with a wash of keys. The noise sits on a foundation of drums and bass that makes me want to drive somewhere. Recording this song reminded me that simplicity goes a long way. It's more about where each layer is placed and not how many layers there are. Also, choosing the right sound (i.e. guitar effect, bass tone, keyboard preset, etc) will often determine whether or not the part being played fits with everything else...especially on an instrumental where there are no vocals to take the spotlight aways from what's happening in the background. This song has about 12 tracks (previous songs in this series have had around 18-30 tracks). It sounded ready after 8, but I stopped before I got too carried away. Song016_Jettison Three is now online.

I haven't had much time to go back and listen to the songs I've already created, but I listened to a few last night. I heard a few things that I would've done differently, but I'm not going to go back and change anything from previous songs. Part of this project is to show what I can do with one idea in one day. I would like to go back (at the end of the project) and Master the final tracks all at once (for the sake of consistency in volume/E.Q), but I don't want to alter them creatively. Once I upload the song at the end of each recording it is part of the OTTO archive...for better or for worse.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment