Monday, July 27, 2009

Song027_If Only

This song began around 9am with lyrics (see below), and the chord progression came shortly after that. Fortunately I was able to make the words fit the progression without altering either too drastically. The drums, electric and bass guitars came next. I layered the vocal tracks (similar to previous songs) by recording each part 3-5 times, selecting the best 2 or 3 and placing them on top of each other (in separate places in the stereo field). I like the natural reverb/chorus effect created by that technique, but it also strengthens the overall quality of the vocals (since I sing light and 'breathy' most times). I used the word 'inevitably' in this song...that's impressive, right? I can't think of many times that I've sung a word with that many syllables.

LYRICS: "If I were taller, I might get tired of bumping my head, but things would be smaller, and wouldn't slip as easily from my hands. If I were smarter, I might get tired of being right, though things would make more sense...no referencing manuals every hour. If life were longer, would I get bored with being alive, and could it get stranger? Inevitably it tries."

Another album will be available tomorrow for $5. If you're not already, then sign up for the FREE song every day and you can vote for your favorite each week.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment