Saturday, July 25, 2009

Song025_Can't Steal Purpose

I am now 25 days into this project, and I have been fortunate to be able to arrange my work schedule so that I write/record in the mornings. This relieves some of the stress of having to complete a song by midnight each day. Today was a little different. I taught a CPR and First Aid class from 8am-4pm, and I started on this song around 5pm. I wrote lyrics until 6pm, then tracked each instrument as fast as possible. I had thought of this chord progression earlier in the day (it worked best in 3/4 time), and I shaped the sound by selecting all the instruments that I'd use first (before writing the parts for each individual instrument). The only percussion in this song is a single tambourine, but it seemed to work.

LYRICS: "Just say the word, then start the timer. Wind the propellers. Lock the hammers. Don't cut the line. Don't call it over. Don't burn any bridges. Keep a hand on the throttle. But it's a high wire with no net to make up for falls. My feet are on fire. Just don't think past the next step. I have discovered from scratching the surface. No weapon can kill us. No thief can steal purpose."

See you in the morning.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment