Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 2

I am pleased with the way things are moving. 'Day 1' was a success, and I'm ready for 'Day 2.' I spent about 30 minutes last night gathering some ideas for today's song. I'm approaching the writing process very loosely. I have a BPM (beats-per-minute) set and I know which instruments I want to use first. It makes it interesting when the ending is a surprise to me.

Since my mother-in-law prefers that I explain what my songs mean, I will try. The first song, "Be Advised," was about the uncertainty of life (a theme I'll probably use again). The weather alert noise means panic for some and it means preparations and planning for others. The last time I heard that noise (prior to a recent tornado visit) I heard the rhythm and bass along with it (in my head, of course). I changed the purpose of the noise to be for the sake of the noise itself (it was funny to me). The narration delivers the message in a way that's very formal and informative (and hiddenly sarcastic). If you are accepting of the temporary nature of life it makes living more fun, which is why I sang the secong half of the song's message in a way that doesn't quite fit...it's pretty bright and motivating considering the news I'm delivering.

I still have a few technical challenges to clear up today. My new CPU should've come with an iLok key (which allows me to use half of my recording plug-ins), but it is nowhere to be found. I will need to dig through old boxes again, then I'll have to call Sweetwater with the bad news. The codes from the software they installed are specific to that key. Also, I still need to soundproof my windows so the neighbors can't hear me when I do my amazing drum rolls.

Thanks for reading my mind. I'll have more updates today when the second song is complete.

-OTTO

No comments:

Post a Comment