Friday, July 17, 2009

Song017_Stronger Than Science

This is another instrumental...a simple, but rhythmic and melodic tune. I started building this session with drums, then distorted guitar (choppy "power chords"), then analog bass, then icing (i.e. keyboards, noises, horns, etc). Each track was spontaneous...filling in the gaps created by the previous track. Of course, sometimes I record a track "spontaneously" all the way through the song (without stopping), then it's a matter of editing to create the proper gaps in each track. If everything plays all at once then it's not as interesting, it's not as dramatic, and sounds get covered up by other sounds, so I try to introduce new sounds throughout the song (even if I'm repeating a part of the song you've already heard). The electric guitar (clean picking with delay and reverb) was fun to record and I found that there wasn't another guitar part that complimented it...it does fine on it's own. I prepared some lyrics for this song early this morning, but it worked better as an instrumental (so I'll save them for another song). I finished this song around 4pm today, but I didn't post it until around 8pm. I had some trouble getting the final mix that I wanted, so I "bounced" a few versions until I was satisfied...hope it sounds good coming out of your speakers.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment