Thursday, July 9, 2009

Song 9: Finger Touching Trigger

I love music, but I rarely listen to music when I'm driving...especially if radio music is the only choice. I prefer NPR talk-radio (National Public Radio: 90.1FM in the Texas area). Anyway, today's song, "Finger Touching Trigger," was lyrically inspired by all the recent NPR news about talks with Russia. It's an interesting human chess game where every move counts. It's also pretty silly.

"Scheduled talks, smooth as glass, a life-size chess game board full of actors, but I suppose you'll discover, the sense of urgency to the matter. Take a seat, tape this lesson, it's best to hope for peace, and have the biggest weapons. Let's have some patience, everybody. Start the day without your finger on the trigger. There's bound to be a better way."

When I was mixing this song I pictured all the world leaders being forced to watch the video for this song (not yet created) before they were allowed to talk business. It would be an instructional video titled, "International Defense Precautions for Dummies." The intro would have a cartoon figure pointing at the "red button" and shaking his head 'no.'

I had originally written the guitar for this song in 1996(?). The original 4-track recording was called, "Senator Frisbee," and it's quite different. All of the re-recording (and the lyrics) for this song happened today. I had to re-learn the chords since I haven't played it since the 20th century.

-OTTO

No comments:

Post a Comment