Thursday, July 23, 2009

Song023_Your Eyes Reflect My Smile

This song began with the acoustic strumming part (4-6 chords that I shaped based on sound...not sure what to call them). I added analog bass next, then percussion. In the past, I have typically recorded 90-95% of the music before recording the vocals. This time I wrote and recorded vocals to the foundational tracks (about 6 of them), and then I filled it in with keys, electric guitars and other noises (there's a chime in there...it's subtle, but appropriate). I had no preconceived idea of how I wanted this song to sound, so it took shape as the day progressed. Somehow, like others in the past, this song became two different songs. It's smooth pop that switches to rough rock. I laughed when I thought of the lyric, "I'm as old as I've ever been." That's always true. I tried to consider my audience as I wrote this one, so (Susan) I hope you enjoy it.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment