Friday, October 23, 2009

Song115_Give It Back

Today's idea started with a message (instead of a chord progression, sound, melody, etc), so I focused on the vocals before starting the music. I've only done it this way a handful of times during this project, but it definitely makes it easier to work in reverse like this. The song can be structured to the lyric patterns instead of vice-versa. Once I had a rough version of the vocals I recorded the distorted guitar (C-Am...C-B/C-F, etc), the bass guitar, and the drums. Each of these parts is fairly straight-forward...nothing fancy, but it provides a solid foundation for the vocals (which were recorded next). The verse sections have two simultaneous vocal tracks (I sang the same part twice), and the Chorus sections have 3 vocal tracks. The transients and levels of intensity changed with each phrase that I sang. I can usually control this during the "input" phase of recording (by moving closer and further from the mic as I sing with varied intensities), but I liked the takes that I captured...so I made them work. I effected each section of vocals individually (EQ and compression), and then I 'bussed' each group of vocals into a separate 'axillary' track to add a common reverb and compression.

I don't typically vent (lyrically) about politics, but occasionally it helps. (Ultimately, I believe that there are other things more important, more pertinent, and more long-lasting to write about). However, today's song is an exception. As much as I love our country, I was disappointed when I found out about the recent Nobel Peace Prize give-away. I took the facts within these lyrics from sites such as: NPR, CNN, and the official Nobel Peace Prize website. The opinions are my own, but in fairness I do realize that you can't nominate yourself, and it isn't realistic to decline the offer. I probably should've directed my comments more towards the voting committee.

LYRICS: "Your greatness is based on speeches you deliver. Written by others. Practiced on mirrors. Nominations were due two weeks into your job. Were you recommended for visionary promises? Soldiers were killed the day you were recognized for making peace in the world. So who's running those wars? If wars promote peace, then give the Peace Prize to the Generals. You could've declined, but there's still time to give it back."

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment