Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Song098_Drones Appear

Bass and drums drive this wash of bent guitar strumming, synth sounds, reversed guitar solos, and other miscellaneousness. I like the melodic sense of chaos and the comforting uneasiness of this type of sound (which was probably influenced by bands like The Swirlies and My Bloody Valentine).

This is the final song of Week 14, so that means a new album will be available online later tonight (Mayday). I wanted to get an early start on recording today, but my plan backfired. I worked on an idea for 3 hours before trashing it completely. I decided to look through a folder of old ideas that I store on a separate hard drive. I found one that had a guitar part that I liked, but there was a lot wrong with how the song was structured, edited, and mixed. I deleted about 16 tracks from this session (leaving only 2 tracks...one guitar and a backwards solo), and decided that was my new starting point. This old idea got new drums, a new (synth) bass line, synth vocals, an organ, and a few other things.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment