Thursday, October 15, 2009

Song107_Atomic Darling

I like how this one turned out, but it wasn't clear how it was going to turn out until the final hour of recording. I wrote the original progression today on an electric guitar (which you won't hear in the final mix). I recorded the bass to the 'click' and distorted guitar, and then I completely re-arranged the song. The "Bridge" section sounded better as the "Chorus," and the "Chorus" was deleted. I lengthened the "Verses" and then added a "Transition" part just before each "Chorus." There was a fuzzy synth that ran throughout the song, but I cut it from all sections except the "Verse" and it really opened things up...gave the picking guitars more room in the spotlight. The choir section and violin were added to the "Verse" (G-A-C-F#m-Bm-E), and most of the percussion was removed from the "Transitions." The bass guitar lines have been very fun to play lately. There aren't too many notes involved, but it's a fun challenge to keep it constantly evolving (alternating strings and/or octaves often, going from smooth to choppy, etc). I decided early in the making of this song that it didn't require vocals. I think I could've found some melodies to compliment the music, but I like this one as an instrumental.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment