Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Song106_It's Up To You

Today's song is nothing short of a miracle. Not because it's the best song I've ever done, but because of how well (and how quickly) it came together...under pressure. I didn't actually start this song until 8:15pm, and I had no idea what I was going to do. I started with 4 drum loops, then I added bass guitar. I created sections, added some synths for textures, and then I quickly wrote down a few lyrics. The lyrics were written in about 10 minutes, and I had trouble making things fit at first. By this time it was already 10:30, and it usually takes an hour to mix the song and get it uploaded. But, I knew I wanted vocals on most of the songs this week, so I gave it a few more tries. A few tracks were recorded in one take, and the ones that took longer caused me to skimp on my editing this time (but I think I hid the un-edited sections well). I was racing the clock during the mix, but fortunately it came out pretty balanced the first time through. This is one of the quickest songs I've written and recorded so far. This will be the first song on the next album, Atomic Darling (Week 16).

LYRICS: "Time races by, then races out of sight. I think I might like to try one more time. What will you do once you've caught your own tail? What will you do without the busyness around?"

I have been busy these past few days with work, and also with trying to update the website (http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/). Check out the new videos! Matt Coleman (http://www.unblindproductions.com/) did a great job filming and editing these short commercials.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment