Saturday, October 17, 2009

Song109_Everyone Has Problems

This is a fun song that was written as it was recorded. The distorted guitar track was first, and then I recorded the bass guitar. I found a few percussion loops that fit, and these tracks alone made for a full/complete sound...so I decided to fit some vocals to it. It was structured for vocals, and it had simple chord progressions that allowed for simple melodies. I wrote and recorded each section of the song separately (vocals only), but I think they blended together nicely. The bass and drums drive this song, but I like the sections of textures created by the distorted guitar, string section, choir section, and other miscellaneous synth sounds. The theme of this song is straight-forward..."pessimism is mostly due to lack of perspective." And, "self absorption is a common cause of skewed perception." The tone of the lyrics are sarcastic and sung with a "get over it" feeling, but I'm singing this one to myself as well as others. Hearing others complain makes me realize why I need to stop.

LYRICS: "Hey, you're not alone. It's a common fault. It's not even unusual. You think your problems are bad. You need sympathy fast, but that's not unusual. One of your worst days might look the same as another's best day. Hey, it's not that bad, and you're not alone. Answers come with time, and change can't be denied."

Carly and I went to the Guitar Show earlier today at the Arlington Convention Center. I have been searching for a particular guitar, so we were there when the doors opened. Out of hundreds and hundreds of guitars I was only able to find two of the type I was looking for (they stopped making this model in the late 1990's). I now own an American made Fender Stratocaster Plus Deluxe (1991 model...black and red with a pearl pick guard). I have always enjoyed how these guitars play, and I am partial to the locking head-stock and red, blue, and silver lace pick-ups that are unique to this model. I got a late start on recorded, but it was worth it. Thanks to John for driving this guitar down from his shop in Indiana.

PS: I'm selling my Fender Twin Reverb amplifier ('64 reissue model). Do you need one?

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment