Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Song358_Check the Mic

Today's song begins a new album, Week52_Final Transmission. This will be the only album in this project to have 9 songs (instead of 7), since I've decided to record for "one year and one day" (i.e. 366 consecutive days). In some ways this album has been the toughest one to approach. I've been having lots of "last-minute" ideas and desires for this project, but it can't last forever. Each album has required me to choose: song titles, album titles, lyrical themes, musical styles, groupings of instruments, etc, and hopefully all of these decisions each week combine to form one cohesive album. It's already 1000, but I'm still making the final decisions. I have about an hour to think it over (while I change the strings on 4 guitars).

Random Note: My friend of 20(+) years, Adam, has asked me to officiate his wedding later this year. I'm honored that they asked, so of course I'm going to do it. They currently live in California, and they've decided to have two ceremonies...I'll officiate the Texas version. The state of Texas allows three types of people to legally conduct marriage ceremonies: 1) ordained ministers, 2) judges, and 3) those authorized by their religion. Anyone can legally become an "ordained minister" online (it's simple and free), but the catch is that you have to be willing to be affiliated with those groups. One of the most common sites states "We are all children of the same universe" and makes you promise to "do only that which is right" (though what's "right" is never discussed). It's almost like a group of anarchists nominating you to be president. No thanks. The funny thing is that there have been lots of problems in the past with "unofficial" officiators conducting weddings. So, now "the Texas Family Code provides that if you believe the person is authorized, the marriage is valid even if the person officiating the ceremony was not authorized." That's hilarious.

-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment