Sunday, June 13, 2010

Song348_Evermore

I started writing today's song at 1900, and I was pleased with how quickly it came together. I started by recording the main electric guitar (with a 'click' track set to 136bpm), and then I had the idea to record two additional electrics (each one panned to opposite sides of the stereo field). These 2 electrics, during the 'verse' (F-E-Am-C) and 'transition' sections (Am-C), have dueling patterns that alternate by strumming every other chord in the progression. The guitars in the 'chorus' section are 3 separate melodies that work in harmony. About 2.5 minutes into this song it changes abruptly. I added a completely different chord progression...in a different key. I've done this before, but I like unpredicted endings that make you forget how the song started. Next, I recorded the bass guitar, and then I edited these 4 tracks. I did all of this within the first hour.

I took a break for dinner and returned to this session at 2100. I added a few separate drum rhythms, tambourine, and cymbal swells. Also, I added 2 electric guitars playing single-note solos during 'transition' sections (I played the same solo twice...the second one starts a measure late...kind of like singing "Row Row Row Your Boat" in rounds). I only added one keyboard to this song since the guitars provide plenty of texture, volume, energy, etc.

Kristen stayed at our house this weekend to help Carly with a garage sale. She brought a xylophone with her (to sell). No one bought it, so I used it for today's song (thanks, Kristen!). That was the final track of the day. I completed this song around 2240, it's about 15-18 tracks, and it took just under 3 hours to write, record, and mix.

I got 4 hours of sleep last night, and 4 the night before. It's 2315 now...less than an hour from Day #349.



-Matthew
http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment