Saturday, November 28, 2009

Song151_Anywhere

I am still not feeling well...operating at 74%. However, I was still able to manage a focused, 8-hour recording session. I started around 10am, chose a modest BPM (100), wrote and recorded the foundation of the song on a distorted guitar (which I removed before doing the final mix), recorded the bass guitar, and then I took a short break. I had just enough time for a turkey sandwich before Sam Reidland, my cousin, came over to track the drums on today's song. (PS: Sam's daughter, Rachel, is an incredible artist, and she has agreed to design a future album cover for this project). Sam had warned me that he's out-of-practice, but it seemed to only take him 10-15 minutes before muscle-memory took over. I think he only did 5-6 takes before we both decided that we had enough to work with. The song was somewhat structured, but we edited the drums to create intensity in certain sections. Also, we went back and recorded additional cymbals on a separate track. Sam was able to stay for a while after the drums were in place, and we both shared ideas about which direction the song should go. I added an acoustic guitar and a few electric (picking) guitars, but the song still needed something else. When I 'muted' the original distorted guitar track the song opened up, and that's what gave me the idea to add the piano and violin. Additionally, there is one track of strings and one track of synth vocals (female "ahhs"). I like how this song came together (all 30 tracks), so I topped it off with some sappy lyrics that my wife will enjoy.

LYRICS: "Once, love saved the day. The rain went away. The sunshine's here to stay, for us. Oh, nobody could break us apart. I'll follow you anywhere. Cause anywhere's better than being without you. A desert, an ocean, a jungle, or a cave. Anywhere, baby. You, an angel at times with a devilish side, but you don't have to hide from me. Oh, nobody could break us apart. You're all I need, and all that I want. I'll follow you anywhere. Cause anywhere's better than being without you. A desert, an ocean, a jungle, or a cave. Anywhere, baby."

-Matthew
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com
www.anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment