Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Song148_Dark Shades

Today's song begins a new album (Personal Space Invader), and I've decided to speed things up again. I enjoyed creating songs based on unique (clean) electric guitar rhythms and chords, so I will revisit that formula for Week #22. The chords for this song are fairly standard except for the alternate formations that I used (and the order of the selected chords). (PS: I recorded today's guitars using a pick that Paul Stanley used at a recent KISS show in Tennessee. My brother caught it and gave it to me). After writing this initial guitar track I recorded some 'scratch' drums which made it easier to record the bass guitar. Brandon and Ryan helped in the studio today, so I turned things over to Brandon at this point. He was able to complete the final drum sequences as well as add a keyboard and picking guitar part. Each of these tracks enhanced what I had, and it put us closer to the daily goal.

I wrote some lyrics while Brandon was running the board, but I had thought about the broader (weekly) goals before doing this. Today's song deals with good intentions that end up doing more harm than good. One example involves a recent radio interview that I heard on NPR. Someone had discovered that the paper cups that Starbuck's prints, complete with a message about their dedication to saving the environment, actually do more harm to the environment when weighed against the money they give to that cause for each cup sold. Interesting. There are also individuals that go to strange lengths just to feel like they're saving the environment. I had always heard that we judge ourselves based on our intention and we judge others based on their actions, but I think intentions can work in your favor if no one sees the actual actions behind them (like the Starbuck's example, right?). So, go ahead and put that "save the environment" sticker on your car. Just make sure no one's around when you throw trash out your window.

LYRICS: "You're building up steam. Preparing for the dark side...the next life. All your friends now ignore you. They say you're Hitler-like...uptight. These dark shades of green... Looking down the barrel of a loaded shotgun...the earth shakes. Time for everybody to step in and 'go green'...save things. I'm not sure what you're looking for. Always stuck on the latest trends. (You) never know, but it could be fun to save the world...or pretend we can. But, I never know what you're fighting for. (With your) green cape and a blue bag. Collecting trash and sorting piles. Cleaning up a doomed land. Approaching top speed. The enemy is plastics, not politics. The disappearing gases deplete the life-source of the masses. I'm not sure what you're looking for. Always stuck on the latest trends. (You) never know, but it could be fun to save the world...or pretend we can. But, I never know what you're fighting for. (With your) green cape and a blue bag. Collecting trash and sorting piles. Cleaning up a doomed land."

PS: I just noticed that Sno Cap (the online music retailer) has finally caught up to my daily postings (after a few days of being MIA with no active online services and no customer service). If that ever happens again, then anyone who notices can send me an email and I'll send you a free copy of the daily song.

-Matthew
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment