Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Song141_The Insider

I finally got started on today's song around noon. I wrote this one by experimenting on the bass guitar. I worked out 2-3 sections of progressions quickly, and then I got a drum sequence in place before continuing. The bass guitar was recorded at 120BPM, so I recorded the drums at 60BPM. I wasn't crazy about the drum sound/sequence, but I moved on anyway. The distorted guitar was easy to record, and I think I played it all the way through on the 2nd take (G-Em-C-D, etc). The two picking guitars were recorded using a pre-set that was new for me. It sounds like it's coming out of small, low-fi P.A. speakers at a public swimming pool. Brandon came by around 4pm, and I turned him loose on the drum dilemma. He deleted what I had, and he was able to find much better parts for each section. Additionally, he added the organ to the Bridge section which gave it a warmer and bigger sound. I struggled with some vocal melodies, and I concluded that no vocals were better than mediocre vocals.

Today's song will be the first song on the next album, Week21_Skywriter.

Last week's album, Week20_Crying From Laughter, is now available for sale at www.anewsongeveryday.com.

I created a new video yesterday. I had an idea for a drawing, recorded the entire drawing process (about 20 minutes), and edited the video in 'time-lapse' fashion so that it fits to Song117_Color of My Soul. The quality is not great, but I wanted to illustrate the most important reason that you should support my music. Let me know what you think. You can view the video at: http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/Videos/Videos.html (it's the YouTube video in the lower right corner of the page).

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment