Saturday, November 14, 2009

Song137_Common Strides

I started this song with an electric guitar and a pre-set that I like (and have used before). It's a very reverbed, 'washy' sound that reminds me of the band Slowdive. I chose some chords to work with (a 'C' without the 1st finger...the 'open' sound fits well with the mood of this particular pre-set). Even though the sound was nice, I wanted to get away from the tone of a standard 'C' chord...so I capot'ed on the 4th fret. The foundational electric guitar track was played to a 'click'/metronome (100BMP), and then I added synth bass. There are 2 additional picking guitar parts that each occupy one side of the stereo-field. I had a few lyrics, and I (as usual) was prepared to layer and layer and layer more sound. However, I liked what I had after only recording these 4 tracks, and I didn't want to pollute the sound with anything else. The melody that I had picked out (for vocals) was catchy, but vocals would've distracted from what I ultimately like about this song which is that (in it's instrumental form) this song could take your thoughts anywhere. For me, today's title relates to the shared experiences we have with other humans. Often what brings relationships closer together are things that are difficult, undesired, and maybe even unbearable at the time. I suspect many soldiers returning from war can verify this. I'm sure they have a deep, unexplainable connection with those they served side-by-side with. Common strides can be bitter-sweet, but it's better than the alternative.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment