Thursday, November 5, 2009

Song128_Everything's Extra

I didn't have any specific ideas when I sat down to record today. I decided to focus on a guitar track first, but instead of building the idea around a chord progression I took a different route. I found a guitar effect that I liked and created a part that fit that sound (i.e. the picking guitar that plays throughout the song). I didn't, at the time, concentrate on the chords that would accompany the 3 different picking parts. When I went back to add additional guitars (bass, fast strumming electric, distorted electric, etc) I found that I really liked the chord progressions...especially how well (in a unique way) that they related to each other. These are not chords that I would've normally paired together, but it works in this song. (Verse=B-A, Transition=G-Am, and Chorus=D-C).

It's only 11:30am, which is nice. Carly has the day off, and I'm caught up on all of my work, so maybe it'll feel like a day off if I can complete this song soon. It's 90% ready, but I'm still considering adding vocals. I'll eat lunch, then take another listen. Either way, Song128_Everything's Extra, will be available soon at http://www.anewsongeveryday.com/.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment