Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Song127_Odd's The Standard

Today's song is the first song on the next album, Everything's Extra (Week #19). The album title was something that I saw on a menu once, and I thought it was funny for a few reasons. There was a small burrito shop in Erwin, TN (might still be there), and a group of us would eat there after a long day on the river. (I was a whitewater rafting guide on the Nolichucky River...big/fast water, long days, fun and challenging). The burritos were great, but a "burrito" was defined as beans on a tortilla. Period. "Everything's Extra." Meat was $1, lettuce was $.25, cheese was $.45, etc. By the time I was done ordering it wasn't a cheap burrito anymore, but "everything's extra" applies to many things in life.

This instrumental, Song127_Odd's The Standard, was written on the keyboard. I layered 4-5 tracks of keys before considering vocals. I started the day with a handful of random thoughts that I tried to corral (lyrically) into one song. It started by thinking about the struggle to create accurate (and non-offensive) terminologies. Example: I grew up hearing the term "Illegal Alien" when someone was referring to an immigrant that was here against US law. That term has changed a few times in the past few years. It was first changed to "Illegal Immigrant," but it finally became "Undocumented Immigrant." This isn't an opinion...just an observation that I find amusing. Also, someone pointed out to me that the term "African-American" doesn't always identify skin color. Ernie Els, the white-skinned PGA golfer that was born in Africa and has US citizenship, is an "African-American." Desmond Tutu, the black-skinned leader from Africa, is "African"...not "African-American." Interesting. At the root level, the above examples are irrelevant (and grossly generalized) titles, but again...amusing observations.

The other side of inspiration for "Odd's The Standard" deals with the challenges of having an original thought in a world of billions of other creative humans. I simplified all of these thoughts into the few phrases below...one of which I have heard many places (ironic, huh?).

LYRICS: "When odd comes standard it makes 'different' 'normal.' You're unique, girl. Like everybody else."

Originally, this song had 4 sets of sequenced percussion loops. They were all removed just before the final mix, which really changed the overall mood and sound of this song. And, not having any other drums really emphasized the cymbal swells that I added last.

-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment