Saturday, March 20, 2010

Song263_Tethered

This song was created in a similar way to the others this week...I selected, altered, and edited 5 separate drum rhythms, and then I added 3 simple bass progressions. Adding bass guitar helped me shape the song into different sections. From there, I found a variety of sounds to layer within each section (some overlapping to smooth the transitions). Some of these sounds needed to be foundational...full and consistent, while others are more on top of the mix, sporadic, melodic, etc. I like the contrast between the blunt drum rhythms and the soft wash of synth melodies. There are about 20 tracks in this song, so it's (always) necessary to be deliberate when deciding where each instrument will be within the stereo-field. Since I'm working with new sounds it took me 3 mixes to get the E.Q. right today. I worked on this song throughout the day, took a long break around 1930 to run in the Texas snowstorm, and then came back to finish it up (about 4 hours total).

-Matthew
www.anewsongeveryday.com
matthew@anewsongeveryday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment